Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why Tux FTW?

Why hackers bother with Linux


When you get into the hacker world, you learn that Windows is a consumer level piece of shit. Even the "all knowing" government has stopped using Windows directly on any of there systems (they will use it virtually, but with a Linux/Unix back bone). How Windows has survived with their poor software design for so long is a matter great hacker debate. Whether it is the fact that Microsoft controls the game market, or that they appraise the Aztec Gods by sacrificing one of their many virgin Employees.

Once you step into the realms of computer hacking, software coding, or any other technical field, the only time Windows is used is when it is necessary to work with Windows only customers. You'll find forum upon forum of gripes targeted at the back of Billy's head, whenever someone has to program a Windows app. Even the Elitist Steve Jobs and his Christ-like following have their systems based on freeBSD - aka Unix - and while there is compatition to create the best OS, Unix and Linux are built - origionally - by academics for academics. For my baby steps, my Mentor immediately pointed me to Ubuntu - the baby king pin of the Linux world.

Upon downloading, ripping, and inserting the DVD, I found a had just taken my first step into a new world. Even the live-cd environment worked like a charm. I most impressed that I was actually inside the OS even though I hadn't even installed it to my hard drive. I've always hated that long, sore wait while I installed Windows. Not only did it look bad while it intsalled (terrible resolution settings), it was slow. But Linux, HO-LY SHIIIT! Not only did it install in about one third the time, you can partician and repartician the hard drive, you have soooo many options to choose from it was almost mind bogglying (it still is for any one over the age of 55). Windows free living is so Epic!

It was done in a flash, and I was starting up Linux for the first time - sweeeet! Then, wtf? The sound didn't work, and the resolution was no longer smooth. What happened to the live-cd buttery goodness? Then I quickly came to realize that the reason why hackers use Linux is to get thier asses pwned. It took three weeks to get the video drivers working correctly - my Mentor installed a program that did it for me. It took me another six weeks to bitch slap the sound drivers into submission - it would have taken less if I had realized what kind of sound card I had (me == idiot). When I, I alone, conquered the sound driver a feeling over came me of pure joy. I pwned Linux, it was now mine to own - to control! That is why hackers use linux. Yes, there is the ease of not having viruses or malware. Yes, there security options that make it a fotress of steel (that's before work on it!). Yes, it makes you more of a kewl, 1337 nerd. But really it comes down to ownership. No, I didn't create the skin for desktop. No I didn't "hack" the driver source code. No, I didn't write the code for the kernel. But I did follow an online guide, and I got it to work when it "normally" wouldn't. It is now mine. That Linux on my hard drive is now MINE. What do the Windows user do? Put up a kewl background up? Change the start up screen with another program? Remap the keyboard short cuts? Give me a fucking break. When you spend hours searching for answer, trying out shit that might fuck up your computer, recompiling source code to get an app to work - then you can say you did something, then you can own your OS. And yes, we brandish our work as a mark of distinction. We learn something every time we use our OS, were not lazy bastards that play solitare and call it work.
--The Student


You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. -- The Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment